Start Something.™ Imagine the Possibilities. What Will You Start?
All children need the kind of love and attention that only a caring adult can give. Volunteers report the following results for children matched at least six months:
- improved self confidence
- improved attitude towards school
- improved relationships with family
In addition, while volunteers agree to a one year commitment, the average length of a match is 3 years. In fact, many of the relationships continue into the children’s adult lives.
National research reveals that one-to-one mentoring relationships help Littles reach their highest social and academic potentials. Littles are more likely to show positive behaviors in school and at home than those that are not matched with a Big.
A study of 200 adults who had an adult mentor revealed that:
- 52% said their Big kept them from dropping out of high school
- Over 76% said they learned right from wrong from their Big
- 84% said they learned the importance of helping others
Statistics show that those Littles who spent at least 12 months in a mentoring relationship were:
- 46% less likely to begin using illegal drugs
- 52% less likely to skip school
- 37% less likely to skip a class and therefore become more confident of their performance in school
Big Brothers Big Sisters of Clinton is reaching out to members of Clinton county and Fulton, IL to volunteer as Big Brother, Big Sisters and Big Couples. Adult volunteers are needed to provide friendship and mentoring services to 15 area children currently on our waiting list. No special training or education required. We provide all the training you need. If you can be a friend to a child, you can be a Big Brother or Big Sister.
Can you help improve our area youth's chances at a happy, healthy childhood? Volunteers are needed now.
Contact us for more information.